Saturday 16 June 2012

Sweet potato tuna burgers




When it comes to dinner sometimes I don't know what I am actually going to cook but I'll start with one basic ingredient and then work from that. 
Lately I haven't been too creative or exciting. It's been the usual loop of food like an overplayed playlist. 
So the other day I grabbed two sweet potatoes knowing I wanted to make something with them. 
Then I remembered once I saw on Danielle's blog sweet potato burgers. 
So I thought what if I mixed tuna, sweet potatoes, beans, quinoa together?
I knew I was taking a bit of a risk but you know when weird things just seem to click? 
This was one of those times... 

Wow. Food Breakthrough

Ingredients
  • 2 sweet potatoes with skins
  • 1 cup of cooked quinoa
  • a can of drained tuna in water
  • can of mixed beans
( I used a spicy three bean salad can for added flavour)
  • 1 cup of rolled oats


Pre-heated oven to 220C
I boiled the sweet potato until it was soft but not too soft. 
Using a fork mash the potato into "mush". Do the same thing to the beans.
Add the pre cooked quiona and tuna. 
Add spices of your liking ( I used a Curry powder)
They will seem a bit mushy but grab some oats in your hands and then make a patty. Using the oats for density and a building block. 

Place them on a baking pan lined with aluminium foil. 
Put them in the oven and cook for approximately 15-18 minutes until the oats turn brown. I would turn half way through to ensure both sides get that crispy outside. 
Also the last few minutes I placed a small bit of Mature Cheddar on Davids burgers. 

I didn't know if David would really like it but he actually went back for thirds. 
You should definitely try this. It's not only veggie, but also healthier. 

Let me know what you think. :) 


Sidenote: I apologise for lack of more pictures as I didn't think it would turn out as lovely as they did. 
Here you can see I used lettuce instead of a bread bun, another healthy option. Weird yet so good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! Thanks so much for stopping by She Sailed the Sea. Please leave your blog or website so I can stop by and show YOU some love. Let's be friends.