Saturday 18 February 2012

Banana leftovers and Zucchini chips

So today I really wanted to bake, without the whole eating all of the dough and then feeling a bit blech. I've been wanting to really start baking organically and more healthy. Or as healthy as baking can get. 
I was reading Sometimes Sweet's weekend links and one of her links was this adorable clean eating blog. She says something about not baking with all that sugar and flour which leaves you feeling icky not full. 

So I thought I'd go in the kitchen and see if I could muster something up out of the ingredients I have in the house. We shall call these:
Banana Leftovers
makes about 6 mini bars
2 TBSP Organic Crunchy Peanut butter no added sugar
1 TBSP each of the Almond and Cashew Whole Nut Butter
1 tsp agave syrup
2 Bananas(mashed)
1 1/2 TBSP Instant coffee
1 TBSP boiling water
1 cup oats

In a pan I melted everything but the oats together. Constantly stirring. Then once blended well enough I mixed in the oats and removed from heat. You may need to add more oats or you could even add sunflower seed, coconut, whole nuts. The options are really endless. Once all mixed I sprinkled Cinnamon for a bit extra flavour. Of course a recipe wouldn't be complete without it. 
Mashed everything together and placed on a cutting board to cool. Once chilled cut into mini bars. 

You could obviously make more or less and swap nut butters. You also could opt out on the coffee but I thought mixed with the banana and butters it almost gave it a chocolate taste. Trust me, I will try and add coffee into anything I possibly can. 

Let me know if you try this. I wanna hear your opinions. 







 Maybe you aren't all about that business but salty is more your thing.
Grab that Zucchini/Courgette out of your fridge. Lets cut it into tiny slivers. 
Put a bit of sea salt and paprika on those guys. Pre-heat the oven to 200 C. Place on the tray spread out so they can cook. If you just dump them in a pile they won't all cook. Let's give each of them an equal cooking chance? No Zucchini chip left behind and all that. 
I put a timer of 5 minutes on and just keep an eye on them. You'll probably wanna experiment at which taste you like best. I, personally like burnt things. Odd? I think not. Tasty? I do believe so. 
While those little guys are on the go you could pull a can of Organic Black Beans out. Drain. Put beans in blender with a dollop of Organic Greek Yoghurt season to your liking. I used a bit of green thai and cut up a few olives. And blend. I put on the stove and warmed it up a bit to thicken it and get the spices going. Ding. Chips are done. Snack time. 
After all that work you might also just need to take a little cat nap. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! Thanks so much for stopping by She Sailed the Sea. Please leave your blog or website so I can stop by and show YOU some love. Let's be friends.