Monday 16 April 2012

Music Mondays

Hi gang. Happy Monday.

How was everyone's weekend? Depends I guess whether your an Everton or Liverpool supporter. Unfortunately the blues lost in the Semi-Final. Sad times. It was such a brilliant experience though I must say; just disappointing the outcome. So if I don't talk about it it didn't happen right?

Mooooving along to our new Monday feature. I'd like to introduce you to Hannah from DaisyDigital. Hannah and I have become friends via blogging/twittersphere. She has amazing music taste and is always blogging remarkable music reviews. She has a real knack for overlooked bands and is consistently giving me recommendations. I've yet to check out a band that I haven't liked. So get your iTunes ready and here's Hannah...

Hello there. My name is Hannah, I am 20 and come from a little place near Liverpool and it's pretty fair to say I have a somewhat unhealthy obsession with music. So much so, I jumped at the opportunity to do this little feature with Tanja. I hope you enjoy. Being lucky enough to live not too far from Liverpool and sharing my time between here and Leeds, where I study at University, this past year has seen me attend more gigs than ever before and I love it. So, Tanja and I have decided to do a little feature for you, also known as Music Monday.

Without further ado, here are my picks for the 5 Must Listens this week... I guess this weeks picks are influenced by the sunshine bursting through my skylight today, all somewhat hypnotic Summer songs.

1. Bedouin Soundclash - 'Rolling Stone'. Coming from the Canadian groups fourth album, 'Light The Horizon', Bedouin Soundclash yet again strike gold. This time, in a somewhat understated mix of elegant, clean cut reggae come soul. The perfect song to relax and sing along in the sunshine to.

2. Alabama Shakes - 'Hold On'. Following their release via. Jack White's Thirdman Records last year, this group of highly talented musicians are currently riding on the wave of new found fame. This band have so much hype at present, with constant radio play over the past few weeks enabling them to quit their day jobs and get acclimatized to the very bright future ahead of them. Hold On is a fabulous introduction to the band, blending their bluesy yet subdued rock style. With vocal comparisons to the likes of legendary Amy Winehouse and Macy Gray, I predict these guys will soon be selling out gigs here there and everywhere.

3. Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - 'Home'. One of my Summer anthems from last year, I still can't get enough. I lose track of the number of contributors to this band. I think I counted ten last time. Regardless, they sound sublime. This song proves a unique take on the country and folk genre, resulting in a lively, charming song, perfect for this time of year.

4. Little Dragon - 'Ritual Union'. Having been going now for fifteen years plus, this song illustrates the talent behind Swedish electronic band, Little Dragon. The title track comes from their third studio album, released last year. The electronic beats are teamed with beautiful rhythms and melodies throughout and hey, it even made it to the catwalk at London Fashion Week!


5. Bahamas - 'Caught Me Thinking'. Toronto based Aife Jurvanene, or better known as Bahamas releases his first single this month taken from his debut album, 'Barchords'. I heard this a few weeks back and honestly, I think it's up there with the perfect Summer song. It takes me to a fantasy land of dancing about, sand trickling through my toes.  I can't help but hear a retro come dance sound, reminiscent of 50s soul and swagger idols. Whats more this guy seriously knows how to play guitar!

So there you have it, I hope you've enjoyed the first Music Monday post! Thanks Tanja :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! Thanks so much for stopping by She Sailed the Sea. Please leave your blog or website so I can stop by and show YOU some love. Let's be friends.