Wednesday 11 April 2012

Homemade Granola

I love cereal and granola, but the facts are most cereals or granola are pretty packed with not so friendly ingredients. So I was decided I wanted to attempt to make my own granola, a healthier version ofcourse (in moderation) and cheaper.
I've gone about doing it 3 different versions and third version is by far my favourite. 
So here goes:
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup flaxseed
175g dry roasted peanuts( you could do cashews or almonds here or you could use jar peanut butter. I did this the second batch and it was good I just really liked the texture and flavour of the homemade better)
2tbsp cinnamon
dash of ginger/nutmeg
1/4 cup no sugar added raisins
1/4 cup walnuts
1 1/2 tsp agave nectar ( you could also use a healthy maple syrup, honey, or sunflower oil) 

So I put the dry roasted peanuts in the blender/food processor and blended until they made peanut butter. I used about 1/4 cup of the peanut butter and put the rest in a jar for later use. (i.e. celery peanut butter sticks for a mid afternoon pick me up)
Then I put all of the above in a mixing bowl (while the oven is heating at 215C)
If it's really crumbly add more peanut butter or agave nectar. I like more chunky granola than tiny pieces so once all mixed I placed the pieces on a baking sheet and put in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes. I kept my eye on it I wanted it a bit crunchier so I left it a bit longer but after 10 minutes checked very often. 
Once the time was up I turned the oven off but left the baking tray in too cool. About half and hour later I just poked it(the first go around I broke it all apart immediately after it came out of the oven without letting it cool and it was alot softer and less dense) to feel if it was hard or not. Don't grab until completely cooled off or your bigger pieces will fall apart. 
Then do as you please with it. :) 

I personally like it with a bit of Almond or Hazelnut milk. 



I also saved loads and just reach in the jar every once in a while just for a sweet treat.




Hope you have enjoyed. Let me know what your thoughts are?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! Thanks so much for stopping by She Sailed the Sea. Please leave your blog or website so I can stop by and show YOU some love. Let's be friends.